Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Training Camp Day 2

Alex Barron (#6) goes top shelf glove side

I'm sure all 6 goaltender's would probably like to forget tonight's games. Lots of goals tonight. I felt that in both games the physical contact was much more evident than last night. Many solid hits in the second game between Team Red and Team Yellow.

My choice for Star Player of the night would be Scott Jacklin. Hopefully this is a sneak preview of what he has in store for the Smoke Eater fans this season.

The roster sheets only have the player's last names so I don't know all the player's first names.

TEAM YELLOW : Team Yellow was the team that played twice tonight. As I mentioned Scott Jacklin was outstanding. The "Kimberley Connection" with Matt Wilkins and Sam Mellor used their speed and skill to create scoring chance after scoring chance. Unfortunately Wilkins had to leave late in the first game with an undisclosed injury. He didn't return for the second game. However that didn't seem to slow down Jacklin and Mellor at all. Zach Majkowski (BV Nitehawks) had his best outing in the second game owning the face-off circle and getting in on some of the goals. He also initiated quite a few hits. Sean Nugent had another strong performance. Steve Koshey looked very good for the second night. Alaskan defenceman Ben Matthews looked very good as did Brett Naka. I thought Naka wasn't as noticeable after the scrap with Lidster last night but he rebounded and had two very solid games tonight. Tonight I was very impressed with defenceman Alex Barron (California Wave) . I watched this player at the rookie evaluation camp in Princeton back in April and he was very impressive. Last night I thought he had a so so game but tonight he was outstanding. Scored a very nice goal and great tape to tape passing every shift. Very rarely caught out of position.

TEAM BLUE : The blue team scored quite a few goals against the yellow team tonight but who's counting? Again the 20 year old Ty Lewis had good outing. In fact he played for the red team later filling in for Travis St. Denis. Darnell Dyck who was acquired from Surrey for Paul Barclay looks like he'll be a keeper as well. Quick skater with very good offensive skills. On defence Wade Bennett (LA Junior Kings) had his best game so far. Excellent mobility. 16 year old Eric Walker had another strong performance. I thought #4 Reid was the most physical d-man for the blue team tonight.

TEAM RED : In last night's report I said there was only one 16 year old (93) at camp. I overlooked promising forward Dallon Stoddart (Kootenay Ice Major Midget) from Nelson. He's going to be a dandy as well. Paul Mailey was his usual self. nuff said. Was there ever any better choice for captain? Jordan Thomas (California Wave Major Midget) has lots of speed and absolutely undressed one d-man with a slick move. I was so mesmerized by the move that I can't recall if he scored or hit the crossbar. Corey Bulach (Castlegar Rebels -Sicamous Eagles), the younger brother of Ryan stood out as well showing the work ethic runs in the family. On the blueline returnee and fan favorite Graeme Strukoff was the that team's best d-man.

NOTES : Veteran 20 year old Adam Gummer is not on the training camp roster. Justin Brown hasn't played but is on the bench coaching. Travis St. Denis did not dress for this evening's game.

My aplogies if I left anyone out. So many players and so little time.

Hopefully I will be able to get off work tomorrow early enough to catch the last period of the Black Orange game. I won't be able to do a report but if I can I'll get the game scoresheet and at least list the final score and goal scorers.

No comments: