Monday, August 24, 2009

Training Camp Day 1


Shawn's Note: Randy Emery is a long time Trail Smoke Eaters fan and stats guru. He knows the history of the current BCHL Smoke Eaters better than anyone. Thanks Randy for keeping us up to date during training camp!

Hi all. Shawn had asked me to update everyone on the Smokies training camp during his absence. I cannot possibly fill Shawn's shoes but hopefully I can keep you up do date as to what is going on.

The camp is divided into 3 teams with practices in the morning which I could not attend due to work. In the early evening there are two scrimmages with one team having to play twice.

The games were mostly scrambly but there were some nice plays and some good goaltending.

TEAM YELLOW : Scott Jacklin really stood out and was really displaying his speed while breaking hard to the net. Kimberley Dynamiter Matt Wilkins caught my attention. Strong skater with very good hands. Sniped a couple beauties. Sean Nugent looked like he was in mid season form, hitting everything that moved. D-man Brett Naka was very solid during the first game. Naka challenged big Colin Lidster to the only scrap of the night and got the worst of it. Wilkins teammate from Kimberley Sam Mellor also caught my eye with his speed and skill.

TEAM RED : This team played twice tonight so I'm sure they were a bit tired for the second game. During the first game I was very impressed with newcomer Colin Lidster. He's a real beauty ! I knew he had size but I was really impressed with his skating. Returning vets Paul Mailey, Travis St. Denis and Graeme Strukoff all had good outings. Nelson Leaf David Piccard was rock solid on the blueline.

TEAM BLUE :
Riley Loyst looks to have recovered fully from his unfortunate injuries from last season. He looks much faster than last year. A few people had asked me who this #20 blue was. The jersey numbers were mixed up for some players but this player was getting a lot of peoples attention. He was on the roster sheet but with a different number. A 20 year old forward. On defence I was really impressed with the only 16 year old at this years camp. The kid looked physically much older than his age. It's going to be tough for the coaching staff to not keep him. Not sure if I should let his name out just yet though.

I'll be at both games tomorrow night but unfortunately work commitments will force me to miss all the Wedneday events including the Black-Orange Allstar game. But I will be at all 6 exhibition games hopefully with a better report.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the updates. Looking forward to next weekend's tournaments.