Sunday, January 10, 2010

Smokies stand pat, Renz to AV

As we approach the 8 o'clock deadline tonight I can tell you that the Trail Smoke Eaters will not be making any additional deals. They added big D Taylor Swaffield on Thursday and the rest of the team stays as is. With the season ending injury to Thomas Abenante and the addition of Steve Oursov the club will have 13 forwards and 8 defenceman on the roster. Wade Bennett of course could also count as a defenceman but we'll call him a forward given the way the numbers look right now.

Why no move? Trail can return basically their entire team for next season outside of Nick Sandor and Sean Nugent. This team now has a chance to grow together and win together. The way they've been playing lately they could really surprise some people down the stretch. Why mess with chemistry when you're young and on the upswing? This club is only going to get better game in and game out.

News throughout the league has been slow today. I know my phone has also been on the frtiz so I've had a hard time getting information.

RENZ TO ALBERNI VALLEY

One addition I do know about... the Alberni Valley Bulldogs have added 1993 born defenceman Ryan Renz from the KIJHL's Castlegar Rebels. Renz is a nearly point per game defenceman with a physical edge that has him over 100 penalty minutes. This is a guy who has had NCAA scouts on him already. I don't know what the Bulldogs plan for him this season as they contend for a championship, but he'll be a part of that franchise's young core as long as he doesn't make the leap to the WHL. The last time I talked to Renz he was undecided as to which way he'll go next season.

As for the Rebels, they added Darren Tarasoff after he was released from Williams Lake and former Rebel Brennan White is back. Tough break for Castlegar to lose one of their top young players at this stage of the season. However, they were able to get some veterans back to cover for that loss. It'll be a tight battle in the KIJHL's Neil Murdoch Division.

Other BCHL moves? I don't know yet. I do know several top teams are looking to add. Time is running out though. I've heard from a hand full of sources that the top D-man in Prince George should be on the move... but no official word yet.

I'll let you know if I hear anything else.

No comments: