Tuesday, November 4, 2008

November 4th Smokies Alumni Update


(Brett Skinner with the Islanders)

I'm going to try and keep a running list of where to get statistical updates on former Smoke Eaters that are playing hockey around the globe this season. This is an incomplete list and I'll be updating it as often as I can. If you have a link to a player I have not been able to find please pass it along at shawnsamsmullin@hotmail.com

This week we saw the Smoke Eaters trade Skyler Smutek to Drayton Valley of the AJHL. I've received word that Skyler will be reporting to the Thunder and will maybe even get into the line-up for them tonight. I'm really glad to hear he'll be continuing his Junior A career and I'm sure he'll have success.

It was also a big week for Brett Skinner. The former Trail defenseman made his NHL debut for the New York Islanders. Congratulations to Brett. After 8 points in 8 AHL games this year, his call up was well deserved. It's been a long road for the 25 year old, but he's proof that it is possible. Skinner scored 35 points in 59 games with the Smoke Eaters back in 2000-01. I'll have an interview with his AHL coach Jack Capuano on Mountain FM's Overtime over the next day or so.

Finally, it was the NCAA debut for Fruitvale's Kevin Limbert. The former Smoke Eaters Captain scored a goal in his first game. That's just the beginning for him!

No comments: