Friday, October 3, 2008

Updates from former Smokies

I've been able to get some brief updates from former Smokies on how their seasons are going so far. Hopefully we'll be able to keep track of these guys as they continue on their new paths this season and beyond. Last year's team has faced its share of criticism, but one thing you can never attack is their character. They were and still are a great group of guys who I have all the respect in the world for. Guys who wore the Smokies jersey with pride and respect. Guys who have made Trail proud by taking their game and their lives to the next level. Few teams sent so many players to the NCAA last season. So lets see what they're up to!


Former Captain and four year Smoke Eater Kevin Limbert at Yale University:

"Hey Shawn, things are going well. Extremely busy with classes and workouts. The Ivy leagues have a late start so for the next couple weeks still most of our training is off ice. Its enjoyable to be back in class, its been a long time since high school haha. Other than that I'm just really looking forward to the season getting underway."
I have to say I'd expect the school to be harder than the hockey at Yale. That says a lot. Limbert is the kind of player who they can put in any situation on that team. He's a guy who can succeed as a scorer and a defensive or gritty player. He'll make waves.


Two year Smoke Eater Stefan Decosse at State University of New York - Geneseo:
"I am in Geneseo, NY and I am loving every second of my time here, it is an incredible group of guys, can not say enough of them! Class is going great, I am keeping up so that's good. We just had our first practise today and it went really well. The team looks to be really good this year, and I think I will have a chance to make an impact! From the sounds of it, you are following a great group (Smokies) of guys this year. It has been fun to be able to listening to the games on Mountain FM, you're doing a great job like always. Can you please do me a favour and say hi to the boys and the coaching staff for me, wish the boys good luck for the upcoming weekend, and hi to the fans of Trail! I would appreciate it, keep up with the updates on the blogs, it has been awesome to be able to follow the Smokies from New York."
He's a class act as always. I know we're all hoping Decosse has an injury free and very successful start to his college career. I'm expecting he's going to light that league up. I also know he's coming for my broadcasting job when he's done with hockey.


Three year Smoke Eater Casey Shade at Wentworth Institute:

"It's going good. I like Boston a lot. My school is a little different cause you have to choose your major your freshmen year and I started out in Construction management but decided to change to civil engineering. All we have had are captains practices and dry land. The training is way harder than Trail was and the school takes up a lot of my time. Was fortunate enough to catch a Red Sox and Yankees game. It's kinda cool seeing people walking around down here with Jason Bay's jersey on."
No kidding, that would be awesome. I was lucky enough to see a game at Yankee stadium a few years back. I still have never been to Fenway. Casey will really make some noise at Wentworth. He'll fill the back of the net. He was kind of the godfather of Trail's Alaska connection. A lot of great players come from that part of the world.


Two year Smoke Eater Scott Warner at West Point Academy:
"We have had non official practices and are skating everyday with workouts after. I just go to school everyday then come to the rink and practice and go to the gym. Things are looking really good. The facilities are unbelievable. School is pretty tuff just getting back into it after being out for a couple years but that's how it goes. Our first game is on the 18th of this month."
Warner made huge strides from one season to the next in the BCHL. I'm sure that will continue as he moves up to the next level. He'll be joined by Patrick Copeland as the former Smokies take over West Point. Certainly speaks to their character.


Two year Smoke Eater David Arduin at Quinnipiac University:
Been here for about a month and a half now, still anxiously waiting the first time I can lace em up in a game. This Saturday October 4th is our annual blue vs gold game, an intrasquad game and this date signifies the official start of the season where we can start practicing as a team for the first time regularly. Upto this point we went through 4 vs 1 sessions for 3 weeks. These are 4 players and a coach on the ice for about 40 minutes. Each player did this twice a week along with conditioning skates as a team with no pucks Tuesday and Thursdays and then a captains practice on Friday which is basically a scrimmage. Intense scrimmage at that. Workouts are everyday with Sunday off, and the workouts are intense and very beneficial for all of us. The rink is amazing the facilities are amazing and treatment is 1st class. Our new gear keeps rolling in and that's always a good feeling. We have our exhibition tournament in Omaha, Nebraska the Oct 19th weekend so that will be good to get in my first real game and then the regular season starts with us hosting UCONN in a non conference game against Matt Turner and the Huskies.

Classes are classes, they are going well. I'm a undecided business major but really enjoying what I'm learning and narrowing it down with what i enjoy studying. I might step up and try and be a double major, marketing and management but well see. A few seniors on the team are doing it and experiencing heavy heavy work loads but i think those are my 2 favourite categories so far.

Dorm life is..... tight. Every billet I ever had has given me a room bigger than my dorm room, only difference is my dorm here has 3 guys in it haha. Its fun tho, the college experience is an amazing one and I truly am having the time of my life. Ive also been watching the BCHL closely and want to give my congrats to the Smokies who are off to a good start with a lot of new faces and hope they can keep it going throughout the season.
That's the most feedback I got from anyone. It seems like things are really going well so far for David at a school that seems very fond of BCHL players. Just this season they locked up Prince George's Zach Davies. The Jones twins will be playing there in a couple of years as well. It's too bad David couldn't end his BCHL career with Trail, but I'd say that is certainly where he made his push to the next level and got himself this scholarship. I'm sure he'll take advantage of it.



One year Smoke Eater Steve Oursov with the WHL's Red Deer Rebels:
Everything is really good. Getting good ice time got a shoot out goal and an
assist so far, but everything is doing good. How is everything in Trail?
Good of course, but wouldn't it be nice to have Oursov back in the line-up this season one year older and better? Sounds like his opinion of the Smoke Eaters played a big part in getting his friend Graeme Strukoff to Trail. That's a big part of how you build a program. He's not the only former Smoke Eater in the WHL right now. Logan Proulx (though he never played a regular season game) is with Edmonton. Lucas Bloodoff is with Kelowna. I'm sure I could be missing some others.

There's a boat load of them in university of pro. Grant Rollheiser, August Aiken and Kevin Koopman starting their first NCAA seasons this year. Several others are still in the NCAA and Canadian schools. Travis Gawryletz is going out for the AHL's Rochester Americans with a spot in the ECHL waiting for him if he doesn't get there. There are current Junior A players scattered throughout North America. We'll do our best to keep you updated on them as the season goes on. It was great to hear from some of the guys. I'm sure they will all continue to make positive steps forward in life. Sometimes that means a hockey career, for others that means taking advantage of these educational opportunities to start a different life. I'm sure they all look back on their time in the BCHL as a great part of their life that taught them a ton of lessons they'll use in whatever they do.

If you have anything to report as a former player or about a former player, please feel free to e-mail me at shawnsamsmullin@hotmail.com or add me on Facebook. I'm easy to get a hold of.

The current Smoke Eaters continue their season with games Friday and Saturday in Salmon Arm and Vernon. You can hear all the action on Mountain FM with AM Ford Trail Smoke Eaters Hockey.

No comments: