Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Travis Green Tournament

This year we had three big hockey nights back to back to back. Obviously the Smoke Eaters Alumni events on Friday and Saturday, but it all started with the Travis Green charity golf tournament in Castlegar on Thursday. Green has been heading this event up for a decade now. The future of the tournament is a little bit cloudy now that he's no longer playing in the NHL. Travis told me while it might be time to change the name on the marquee, he will work to make sure there at least some form of the tournament next year. I also found out that he isn't necessarily set on retiring. Check out my interview with Travis:
Green used his pull to bring in all sorts of local celebs and business people. I had a nice chance to get to know Trail's Jay Luknowsky who played and is now and agent in Germany. He's a really good guy who seems to have really found a good spot for himself in Europe. Also had a nice brief chat with Trail hockey legend Ray Ferraro who told me his son Matt has moved on from hockey and was working to become an electrician. Matt had a some good years in the KIJHL and looked good to start the season in Cowichan Valley last year. We can definitely use more trades people though! Sometimes I wish I had jumped into that, the money and jobs available are tremendous. Very cool to hear some of Bob Bourne's stories too. How many people can say they won the Stanley Cup four straight times? That's a pretty exclusive club. It was another sold out year of the tournament raising money for more than 20 charities in the region.

I'm also proud to say I hit a drive nearly 300 yards on one of the holes. Given the fact that 95% of my drives have a massive slice and the other 5% are rolling along the ground... this was a big accomplishment. These hockey people can golf! I'm unfortunately not one of them.

Thanks to those at the event for the invite. I sincerely hope they can get something together for next year's tournament. The whole volunteer group did a group job putting it all together. It's a very important fundraiser in Castlegar, and it would be a shame if it just faded away. Maybe someone new will step up and take over. Travis certainly has earned the right to walk away after his decade of service. The community owes him a debt of gratitude.

No comments: