Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Drake to Retire? (Updated)

UPDATE: Drake and the Red Wings made it official this afternoon.

http://redwings.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=368431

DETROIT – After 15 grinding NHL seasons, Dallas Drake has heard the message that his aging 39-year-old body was telling him.

“I love the game as much as I ever have,” Drake said. “Mentally, I think I
really want to play, but my body has just gotten to the point where I just don’t
recover very well anymore and I don’t play up to a level that you become used to
playing, a physical level that I was used to playing. I think the years kind of
wore me out a little bit. You keep telling yourself to play as long as you can,
and I think I’ve done that.”

---
It looks like Rossland's Dallas Drake has played his final NHL game. He isn't making an announcement yet, but told Mountain FM it's almost a sure thing. Drake says he'll let the Red Wings make it official. He told me that winning the Stanley Cup is the best possible way to end his career. Drake has a one year old son and wants to spend a lot more time with his wife and all four of his children. The 16 year NHL veteran will parade with the Cup in Rossland on Wednesday. He'll be a guest on Mountain FM's Overtime Tuesday night.
"I'm pretty sure. There's probably going to be an announcement in
the next couple of days what I'm going to do. I'm just going to let the
Red Wings handle that though, I've talked to them. I've played a long time
now... 16 years. Being away from my family last year was hard, and I
won a Stanley Cup. That was something I always wanted to do. If I do
leave, which most likely that's going to be the case, then there's no better
way to end. I'd hate to come back and just not win again. It's so
hard to repeat. If you ask me Detroit's the favourite to win it again
next year. But I think it's time for me to sail off into the
sunset."
- Dallas Drake


No comments: