Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Captain Bulach Speaks

(Photo by Randy Emery)

Ryan Bulach will wear the "C" for the Trail Smoke Eaters next season. He's a player whose hard work will set a great example for all the young talent joining the team this year. There's going to be a lot of turn over, and Bulach will help the transition in the locker room with his leadership and dedication. I had a chance to talk to the 1988 born forward on Overtime tonight.

I look forward to Ryan taking another step forward next season. He's the kind of guy any top college would be lucky to have. Another example of hard work paying off. Picking him up from Westside was a terrific move by former Coach and GM Tim Kehler. He's the kind of player who can do it all, and in that way he's very similar to former Captain Kevin Limbert. He'll have a lot of interesting players to work with next season. As every day passes I look more and more forward to the drop of the puck.

Don't forget, it's also only a couple of months away from the Alumni Banquet and golf tournament. Brian Burke and Ceasar Maniago will be here... that's just the tip of the iceberg. Head of to the official Smokies website if you don't have your tickets yet.

TOMORROW ON OVERTMIE

We'll be talking about if you feel the perosnal lives of athletes are fair game. Should we know about Roger Clemens having an affair? Is it news that Dion Phaneuff is hanging out on the beach with Elisha Cuthbert instead of playing in the World Championship? (Incidently, is she related to Chris? Could that explain her love of hockey... players) Is it our business as fans or media? Or maybe when does it become our business and when should that line be drawn? 1-877-560-1010, *MTN on your Rogers Wireless or e-mail us at mullin@mountainfm.net

BOSTON FANS

Welcome to Boston University fans that stopped by the blog after the link from their fan blog. Just to be clear I am not assuming Rollheiser will start slowly. There's obviously a transition that every rookie is going to go through when jumping to a higher level. Especially one where they play against men. It's just that his routine the past couple of seasons has been to battle it out for the job for a couple of months until clearly winning it and playing at an elite level down the stretch. I'd rather have fast finishes than fast starts personally. Rumour on the BCHL message board is that there will be another goalie going to Boston for next season. I don't know anything about that but I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted a little more competition at camp.

NHL CONFERENCE FINALS

I went 1 for 4 in my second round predictions. Frankly I should just give up. I told you I always underestimate Dallas! I'm going to keep doing it too. I'm going with Detroit in 5 games and Pittsburgh in 5 games. I don't think either series is or should be close. It's the playoffs so you obviously never know, but to me the favourites in this round are obvious. If my record so far in the playoffs is any indication, you can bank on a Dallas vs. Philadelphia final.

In the West I just don't see Dallas having the depth to deal with the high end talent Detroit brings to the table. Ever since they've eliminated the distraction of Hasek's manic play, the Wings have been unstoppable. Franzen is feeling it at a level that guys like Fernando Pisani have before, and that doesn't usually go away until the end of the playoffs. Zetterberg has elevated his play to the point that he may be the best two way player in the game today. Lidstrom is the best defenceman in the game today. Osgood continues to prove me wrong. There's a physical element on the roster that is underrated. I just don't think anyone can top them. Turco vs. Osgood is really the only obvious advantage I see for Dallas. Their top end forwards are a step bellow Detroit's. Their top end defencemen are great but a step bellow Detroit's. There's no coaching edge there either. Detroit has been to this dance before while this crop from Dallas hasn't. Everything stacks up in Detroit's favour.

Honestly though, I'll be cheering hard for Detroit this year. Usually I'm not a Red Wings fan, but with Rossland's Dallas Drake in the red and white I would definitely love to see someone bring the Stanley Cup back to the West Kootenay for the first time since Adam Deadmarsh won it with Colorado. Good luck, Dallas... Drake.

In the east, I just don't think Philadelphia has close to the horses to hang with the Penguins. They'll have to goon it up and hope Biron can massively outplay Fleury. I don't see either working out for them. Pittsburgh has been too sharp at both ends of the ice. Their superstars are playing unreal hockey. This is their time to take it to the next level. The Flyers faced a Washington team that was likely the worst or second worst in the playoffs. They faced a Montreal team whose goaltending wilted under the pressure. They aren't ready for a truly elite team.

With that said, it's the playoffs and anything can happen. I'd love to see longtime Oilers Captain Jason Smith fighting for the Stanley Cup again.

1 comment:

candycanes99 said...

Rumors of another incoming goalie to Boston University, in addition to Kieran Millan? Which message board would that be on? Thanks for the updates.