Saturday, December 8, 2007

Bus Vegas

I've had a couple of people e-mail me or ask me about how certain things happen on the team bus. For example, one person asked me how Coach Ingram reacts after a loss. How do players react. What is the atmosphere like. Who gets along with who.

I like to provide as much information as I can to people. I know that working for Mountain FM on Overtime and as our Sports Director, my job is to be a sports journalist as well as a broadcaster. I can't just put out nice PR pieces about the Smokies. I do have to tell it like it is to the best of my ability. However, I've also come to believe something really important.

What goes on the bus stays on the bus.


It's just like Las Vegas, this is nobody's business. I guess it's as simple as realizing that I'm a guest. The Smokies invite me onto their bus, they invite me to their meals, they invite me to stay with them at the hotel. As a guest it is my responsibility to ensure them their privacy in those moments. I can't be a journalist 24 hours a day, because it's not fair. These guys have to be able to let loose and be themselves or they'd go crazy. Imagine having someone watching every move you make in your down time... just ready to put pad to paper or voice to tape.

I think relatively harmless or cute stories are fair game. I know on the air I talked about the song they play when the team wins. I'll interview a player on the bus and the guys will badger their teammate with some jokes and stuff. I think that's ok. However, when it comes to personal interraction or coach/player relations, that's off limits. Good news or bad news, I don't think it'd be fair to pass that stuff along.

Not that I think there's any real controversy here. These guys get along.

But in response to some of those questions I get... sorry guys, it's not for me to say. If a player or coach passes something along to me in an interview or in a formal setting, I'll pass that information along. If not, I have to respect that trust or I'll be finding my own way to games. I don't think I want to have to drive myself to Prince George!

Viva Bus Vegas.

No comments: